The ActionSprout recommended story feed is designed to give subject matter experts and network leaders the ability to easily suggest stories that others can publish on their respective Facebook pages, and spread your message to a much wider audience.
When you suggest a story it won’t go live immediately. Instead, it gets reviewed by an ActionSprout story expert to ensure it’s appropriate for the topic and is an engaging story.
All recommended stories have attribution for who recommended it, and the guidance that they have provided to accompany the story:
In order to suggest a recommended story, you will need to log into an ActionSprout account that has the ability to recommend a story turned on. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or your story network organizer if you don’t have this functionality.
Here's a video breaking down exactly how to recommended a story:
You can recommend a story one of two ways.
One, by clicking on the suggest a story button at the top of the recommended stories section in your ActionSprout account:
Or two, by clicking on the three dots at the bottom of any story card in the Inspiration and Timeline sections and selecting Recommend Story:
This will open up a drawer where you can enter the information required for recommending a story. If you are suggesting a new story you will be able to upload a video or image as well:
Here’s what the different sections need
This helps other organizations understand more about the story you are recommending, and why they should consider sharing it with their followers. Consider providing additional context about the story, and reasons why sharing the story will help achieve an outcome.
Suggested message (optional):
Provide a message that will be suggested when someone goes to share the story. This helps the movement to put forth a more consistent common narrative. It also helps make sharing easier, and less time consuming, because users can simply edit vs come up with something original to say.
Choose the topic(s) that the story best relates to, so ActionSprout users who are subscribed to those topics will get notified about the recommendation.
So what happens after you submit a suggested story?
- First, it gets reviewed by our story team.
- Next, if it’s appropriate, it will be scheduled to be recommended, based on the other stories in the queue for the topic(s) it is assigned to.
- If we have any questions or concerns, we may contact you via email to discuss revisions or explain why it wasn’t approved.
Some tips for writing actionable guidance
- Encourage people to share the story with a particular audience and why. Ex: “Share this story to help millennials understand more about the opioid addiction problems facing an older generation.”
- If you’re sharing something you’ve already posted, use stats from the timeline section to explain why it’s engaging. Ex: “This important story is doing 4x better than normal on our page, so you should share it.”
- If you are sharing something you found in inspiration or topics, reference who else is sharing it with good engagement. “This story has overperformed for CNN and Washington Post.”
- Be excited about the story. Ex: “OMG yes, let’s make sure more people know about this.”
- Encourage people to work together. Ex: “Let us rally behind these researchers and get this information seen by more people.”
A bit more about the story types we are currently supporting
- Link to news or other website: When a user shares this type of story they will only be sharing the link, the recommender won’t be associated with the post that they make.
- Facebook video: These are technically a link, but when a user shares this it will share the original post from the Facebook page that shared the video that wraps around the video.
- Facebook image: These are also a link. When a user shares this, it will share the original post from the Facebook page that shared the image that wraps around the video.
- Video: These are uploaded to the ActionSprout servers. When a user shares these stories, the video will be uploaded to their Facebook page and posted as a new original video from them.
- Image: These are uploaded to the ActionSprout servers. When a user shares these stories, the image will be uploaded to their Facebook page and posted as a new original image from them.
Log into ActionSprout now to suggest your first story!